Shalom, everyone! The following is a lecture by renown educator Rabbi Akwetey Amaah about the fallacy of the so-called “12 Tribe Chart” endorsed and promoted by some members of the Black Hebrew Israelite community. Rabbi Akwetey does not subscribe to the so-called “12 Tribe Chart,” and explains that this chart is flawed because it leaves out the most important component – the Africans from whom the African Diaspora in the Americas are descended. Rabbi Akwetey further explains why those who promote this chart walk in error:
- Hebrew heritage is based on ancestry. No Hebrew in the Americas can prove their Hebrew identity without falling back on their African ancestry.
- Though millions of Hebrews from West Africa were sold into slavery due to the Transatlantic Slave Trade, the majority of the Hebrews are still in West Africa; their culture, language and oral traditions still intact after thousands of years of exile from the Land of Israel.
- In order to prove Hebrew ancestry, an in-depth knowledge of a people’s oral traditions, culture, language, landmarks or city names is required. This is so that this people’s oral traditions, culture, language, landmarks or city names may be compared to information found in the Torah.
- Any community claiming Hebrew ancestry should be able to match the criteria in item 2, predating the advent of European colonialism and imperialism in Africa.
- All claims to Hebrew heritage should be based on facts, not falsified information and misinterpreted verses from the Scriptures.
Gevirah.com takes the following position on the so-called “12 Tribe Chart”: The so-called “12 Tribe Chart” is based on ignorance, error, and falsehood. There is no evidence whatsoever to support the claim of this chart which has sadly led many astray. This chart should be discarded.
Rabbi Akwetey then discusses the origins of the people of Dahomey (a/k/a/ “Danhome” or “Danxome,” modern-day Benin), and their links to the Israelite tribe of Dan, notorious for their practice of idolatry in the Land of Israel:
What about “The 12 Tribe Chart” ? – Akwetey Amaah
Video from Akwetey Amaah/YouTube