Shalom, everyone! Rosh Chodesh Zabah, the first day of the Fourth Month, begins sundown Wednesday, July 3, 2019, on the Hebrew calendar, with the sighting of the new moon (first visible crescent). The Fourth Month marks the Fast of the Fourth Month on the 17th day, the anniversary of Yisrael‘s sin with the Golden Calf. “Chodesh Tov” (“A Good Month”) from Gevirah.com to all who celebrate!
About This Month
Zabah is the Fourth Month of the ecclesiastical Hebrew calendar. The word “Zabah” is a Canaanite-Phoenician word meaning “offering (of produce).” After the Babylonian Exile, the Fourth Month became known as “Tamuz.” The word “Tamuz” comes from the Assyrian-Babylonian month “Arah Dumuzu“ named in honor of the Assyrian-Babylonian deity “Tamuz.”
The following are the holidays and special events that occur during the month of Zabah (Tamuz):
- 17 of Zabah – (Fast of the Fourth Month)
The following are some of the significant events in Israelite history which occurred during the month of Zabah (Tamuz):
- 1 of Zabah – The Flood – the mouths of the depths of the abysses were closed.
- 3 of Zabah (circa 1272 BCE) – Joshua stops the sun (Joshua 10:1-15)
- 5 of Zabah (circa 592 BCE) – Ezekiel receives his “Chariot” vision (Ezekiel 1:4-26)
- 9 of Zabah (circa 586 BCE) – Jerusalem walls breached by King Nebuchadnezzar, a date observed as a fast day until the second breaching of Jerusalem’s walls by the Romans on the 17th of Tammuz (70 CE)
- 17 of Zabah (circa 1312 BCE) – Golden Calf offered by the Jewish people, 40 days after the giving of the Torah at Har Sinai. This is the first of the 5 national tragedies mourned on this day.
- 17 of Zabah (circa 1312 BCE) – Smashing of the first Tablets by Moses.
- 17 of Zabah (circa 586 BCE) – The daily sacrifices in the Holy Temple were discontinued.
- 17 of Zabah (Tamuz) – (70 CE) – Walls of Jerusalem breached by the Roman army.
- 17 of Zabah (Tamuz) – The Roman general Apostomus burned the Torah and placed an idol in the Holy Temple.
- 17 of Zabah (Tamuz) – (1776 CE) – Declaration of Independence of the United States of America
- Ancient Calendars – Canaan
- Ancient Hebrew Forum – The Names of the Months in the Ancient Hebrew Calendar
- Feast of First Fruits and the Ancient Canaanite Calendar